Roopa Ganguly Nominated to Rajya Sabha From Navjot Singh Sidhu's Seat
The vacancy had arisen following the resignation of cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu of the Bharatiya Janata Party from the upper house.
BJP Leader Roopa Ganguly. (File picture)
New Delhi: Actor-turned-BJP leader Roopa Ganguly was on Tuesday nominated to the Rajya Sabha, an official statement said.
A Home Ministry release said she had been nominated to the Upper House by President Pranab Mukherjee to fill a vacancy of a nominated member.
The vacancy had arisen following the resignation of cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu of the Bharatiya Janata Party from the Upper House.
Ganguly, who had come into the limelight with her role of Draupadi in television serial Mahabharat, joined BJP in 2015, ahead of the West Bengal assembly elections in 2016 which she contested. She, however, lost from Howrah North to Trinamool Congress candidate and cricketer Laxmi Ratan Shukla.
In the Rajya Sabha, she will be in the company of former cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, actor Rekha, columnist Swapan Dasgupta and BJP leader Subramanian Swamy, who are among the nominated members.
Recommended For You
- These Photos Prove All Is Well Between Varun Dhawan And Rumoured Girlfriend Natasha
- Australian Open: 15-year-old Marta Kostyuk's Winning Streak Takes Her to 3rd Round
- Brazil Legend Ronaldinho Hangs Up His Boots, Says Brother
- 2018 Maruti Suzuki Swift - All You Need to Know - Price, Features, Mileage [Video]
- Suffering from Cold or Flu? Avoid these 5 Foods