Row in TN Cong over Rajiv death penalty case
TN Youth Congress President M Yuvaraja said there should be no mix of politics in executing the sentence.
Kumbakonam: Demanding the hanging of the three death row convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, Tamil Nadu Youth Congress President M Yuvaraja on Thursday took exception to Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar's stand that the capital punishment be commuted to life imprisonment.
"The offenders in the assassination of the former prime minister must be punished. There is no law that delay in execution of the sentence would entail the convicts to be set free," he told reporters in Kumbakonam.
Coming down on Aiyar for favouring commutation of the death sentence, Yuvaraja said, "Such a stand coming from a person who has benefitted from Rajiv Gandhi and called him his friend is regrettable and harmful to the party. We have taken up the issue with the high command."
The three - Murugan, Santhan and Perarivalan had been convicted for their role in the conspiracy to assassinate Rajiv Gandhi, he said, adding, there should be no mix of politics in executing the sentence.
He also asked the Tamil Nadu Government to take steps for withdrawing the resolution adopted in the assembly urging President Pratibha Patil to consider the mercy pleas of the three convicts.
On the local body elections, he said the Youth Congress view that the party should go it alone had been conveyed to the high command and would abide by its decision.
He said 9,000 people had submitted applications wishing to contest in the civic polls due next month.
Referring to the protests against the Koodankulam nuclear power plant, he said all safety measures were in place at the plant and it was fully protected.
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- Facebook Employees Try to Remove Trump's Controversial Posts, Zuckerberg Calls it Inappropriate
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Pan Masala Row: Saddened to Know It Can Cause Cancer, Says Pierce Brosnan
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP