Rs 40 lakh seized from tea shop in Tamil Nadu
Election and police officials on Monday seized Rs 40 lakh from a roadside tea shop in Therunali.
Ramanathapuram: In yet another haul of unaccounted cash in poll-bound Tamil Nadu, election and police officials on Monday seized Rs 40 lakh from a roadside tea shop in Therunali and arrested its owner, police said.
The tea shop owner Ponnuswamy claimed that the money was meant for distribution to voters on behalf of DMK, police said.
Income Tax (Investigation) Department officials on Sunday seized unaccounted cash of about Rs 37 lakh allegedly kept for distribution to voters across various parts of the state.
The Election Commission had formed flying squads for carrying out searches on vehicles and premises in a bid to prevent the use of money power in the polls.
Since the searches started after the notification of the polls, officials have seized crores of rupees from various places.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It
- 'Indecision' Review System: India Get 17 Out of 55 Calls Right