Sampath to take over as the new CEC on Monday
Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath will preside over the next Lok Sabha elections in 2014.
New Delhi: Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath will take over on Monday as the 18th Chief Election Commissioner of India at the Election Commission headquarters in the Capital. A 1973 batch IAS officer, 62-year-old Sampath will take over from SY Quraishi whose term came to an end on Sunday.
Sampath, who was appointed as the CEC last week, will preside over the next Lok Sabha elections in 2014. A low-profile bureaucrat, who has had stints in various capacities in Andhra Pradesh and Delhi, Sampath was Power Secretary at the Centre before he was appointed Election
Commissioner in April, 2009.
Born on January 16, 1950, Sampath will be at the helm of the Commission till January, 2015 when he would turn 65. Under the Constitution, an EC or the CEC can remain in office either for a six-year term or till 65 years, whichever is earlier.
Consequent to Sampath's appointment, the government will soon be naming his replacement as Election Commissioner.
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Wants US Troops Out in Two Years, Willing to Scrap Defence Pacts
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'
- Full Text of Cyrus Mistry Interview that Tata Group Scrapped
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party drama enters 5th day: Akhilesh-Shivpal feud sparks SP-Congress alliance ahead of UP polls- FirstPost
- Haryana will be first state to implement 7th pay commission recommendations - Pradesh18
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18