DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Sampath to take over as the new CEC on Monday
Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath will preside over the next Lok Sabha elections in 2014.
New Delhi: Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath will take over on Monday as the 18th Chief Election Commissioner of India at the Election Commission headquarters in the Capital. A 1973 batch IAS officer, 62-year-old Sampath will take over from SY Quraishi whose term came to an end on Sunday.
Sampath, who was appointed as the CEC last week, will preside over the next Lok Sabha elections in 2014. A low-profile bureaucrat, who has had stints in various capacities in Andhra Pradesh and Delhi, Sampath was Power Secretary at the Centre before he was appointed Election
Commissioner in April, 2009.
Born on January 16, 1950, Sampath will be at the helm of the Commission till January, 2015 when he would turn 65. Under the Constitution, an EC or the CEC can remain in office either for a six-year term or till 65 years, whichever is earlier.
Consequent to Sampath's appointment, the government will soon be naming his replacement as Election Commissioner.
Recommended For You
- Trescothick Takes Wonder Catch and Scores 50th Century For Somerset
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- Saif Ali Khan Opens Up About Ex-wife Amrita Singh In This Old Interview
- IPL 2017: Mumbai Indians Thank 'Nani' For Thrilling Victory
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande