Dikshit Accuses Army Chief Bipin Rawat of Speaking Like a 'Thug', Then Recants
Sandeep Dikshit created a storm when he accused Army Chief Bipin Rawat of making statements like a "sadak ka gunda".
New Delhi: Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit created a storm on Sunday when he accused Army Chief Bipin Rawat of making statements like a "sadak ka gunda" (a street thug).
Though, Sandeep Dikshit, in a U-turn, felt it was 'wrong' on his part and sought apology for his remarks.
"I genuinely believe what I said was wrong. So I apologise for it and withdraw my statement," said Dikshit
In a recent interview the Army chief, while speaking about the Kashmir unrest, had suggested that it would have been easier for the armed forces if the protesters were firing weapons instead of throwing stones.
Rawat had said: "In fact, I wish these people instead of throwing stones at us, were firing weapons at us. Then I would have been happy. Then I could do what I (want to do)."
The BJP was quick to take umbrage and expressed its dismay over the use of such words to describe the Army Chief.
"What's wrong with Congress Party? How dare Congress call Indian Army Chief as "Sadak Ka Gunda", tweeted MoS Home Kiren Rijiju.
BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra called it a "shameful statement".
Incidentally, Prakash Karat too in an article said the statement by the Army chief was a needless provocation and was "unbecoming of a senior Army officer."
Recommended For You
- Nawazuddin Opens Up About His Struggles, Looks and Manto's Impact
- Watch The 'Tech And Auto Show': Jeep Compass, Yamaha FZ25, One Plus 5 & More
- Sakshi Dhoni Has a Blast With Zoravar and Bravo Junior
- Tubelight BO Collection: Salman Khan Starrer Collects Rs 19.09 Crore on Eid
- Bajaj Pulsar NS160 Expected Launch by July, Could be Priced Under Rs 1 Lakh On Road