Sarabjit will be cremated with full state honours: Punjab govt
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal also announced that both daughters of Sarabjit Singh would be given government jobs.
Chandigarh: The Punjab government on Thursday announced that Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner who died in a Lahore hospital after a brutal attack on him, would be given a state-level funeral after his body is handed over and brought back to India. Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, in a statement, said that Sarabjit Singh would be given a state-level funeral after his body is brought back to India. He expressed anguish over the death of Sarabjit.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal also announced that both daughters of Sarabjit Singh would be given government jobs. The Chief Minister urged the Central government to raise the issue of Sarabjit's death at the international level. Sarabjit, 49, had suffered critical head injuries after an unprovoked and sudden assault by five to six prisoners on April 26 in the Kot Lakhpat jail.
Sarabjit, a resident of Bhikhiwind town in the border district of Tarn Taran, was on death row in Pakistan since 1990 after being convicted by Pakistani courts for bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan, which left 14 people dead.
Sarabjit's family claimed that he was innocent and was arrested when he crossed over to Pakistan in an inebriated state. Police in Pakistan, however, claimed that Sarabjit Singh, known as Manjit Singh, was involved in terrorist strikes.
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- Pakistan Needs To Stop Terror From Its Soil: B'desh Envoy
- UN Should Consider Declaring Pakistan a Terror State: Bangladesh Envoy
- Mukesh Ambani the Richest Indian With Net Worth of $22.7 Billion: Forbes
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Might Get Snapdragon 821, 2K Display and 4GB RAM
- Reliance Jio Infocomm Will Drive Innovation in Technology: Mukesh Ambani
- Reliance Jio 4G Launch: Long Queues on Day 1; Fast Data is Showstopper