Schools, colleges closed in Hyderabad, Telangana
Telangana student unions gave a bandh call on Monday, protesting the alleged high-handedness of police during the 'Telangana March'.
Hyderabad: Several educational institutions in Telangana region, including Hyderabad, have shut down on Monday following a bandh call by pro-Telangana groups. Telangana student unions including Osmania University Students Joint Action Committee gave a bandh call on Monday, protesting the alleged high-handedness of police during the 'Telangana March' in support of the separate statehood demand on Sunday.
State Road Transport Corporation said it had not cancelled bus services, but rescheduled them in some areas of the city. South Central Railway sources said some of the train services in the region were cancelled. MMTS (Multi-Modal Transport System) services in the city would not operate till afternoon.
Thousands of protesters defied prohibitory orders and joined in the Telangana March in Hyderabad on Sunday. Police said some 25 police vehicles were damaged, three of them torched. Several political leaders including some Telangana Congress MPs were taken into custody when they tried to stage dharna in front of chief minister's Camp office.
Telangana supporters, on their way to Necklace Road at Hussain Sagar lake, the venue of the March, clashed with security personnel. Violence was reported at Osmania University campus, Khairatabad and the Andhra Pradesh Secretariat area.
When they were stopped from passing down the Secretariat road and through some other areas where prohibitory orders were in place, the protesters pelted stones and tried to remove the barricades, which prompted the security personnel to lob tear gas shells, police said.
Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), which had asked its supporters to stay at the March venue, ended the rally shortly before midnight due to rains.
JAC chairman M Kodandaram said it would organise a fast on October 2 in Hyderabad and also launch a fast-unto-death agitation soon.
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Dear Zindagi Teaser is Out and We Can't Stop Smiling After Watching It
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18