DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Shiv Sena distributes knives to women for 'protection'
The knives distributed on Wednesday were China-made knives with three inches blade.
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena on Wednesday distributed knives to women in Mumbai for "enhancing their personal security" in the backdrop of recent attacks against women.
At a function held on the birth anniversary of late Sena chief Bal Thackeray at Lalbaug in central Mumbai, Shiv Sainiks distributed Chinese retractable knives to women so that they can protect themselves.
"Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick," Sena's south region "vibhag pramukh" Ajay Chaudhry said, defending the initiative.
"The government has failed to provide security to women, so we are distributing these knives to help them defend themselves," he added.
According to law, a knife below six inch blade is permitted, a Sena member said. The knives distributed on Wednesday were China-made knives with three inches blade.
Asked if the Sena leadership was aware of the knives distribution programme, a senior Sena leader said the event was held at the local level.
Recommended For You
- New 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire First Drive Review: Does it Aspire to Amaze You?
- BCCI Unhappy With Anil Kumble? India Looks For New Coach
- On Kumble, Kohli Says BCCI Following Due Process By Inviting Fresh Applications
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- Bollywood Stars Join Sachin Tendulkar For A Billion Dreams Premiere