Shiv Sena distributes knives to women for 'protection'
The knives distributed on Wednesday were China-made knives with three inches blade.
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena on Wednesday distributed knives to women in Mumbai for "enhancing their personal security" in the backdrop of recent attacks against women.
At a function held on the birth anniversary of late Sena chief Bal Thackeray at Lalbaug in central Mumbai, Shiv Sainiks distributed Chinese retractable knives to women so that they can protect themselves.
"Thackeray used to say women should prefer a Rampuri in their purse rather than a lipstick," Sena's south region "vibhag pramukh" Ajay Chaudhry said, defending the initiative.
"The government has failed to provide security to women, so we are distributing these knives to help them defend themselves," he added.
According to law, a knife below six inch blade is permitted, a Sena member said. The knives distributed on Wednesday were China-made knives with three inches blade.
Asked if the Sena leadership was aware of the knives distribution programme, a senior Sena leader said the event was held at the local level.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance