Shiv Sena to back NDA's Vice Presidential nominee
The Shiv Sena is supporting the United Progressive Alliance Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee in the July 19 poll.
Mumbai: Unlike the presidential elections, the Shiv Sena will remain with the opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA) for the vice presidential poll August 7, a party MP said in Mumbai on Sunday.
"We have decided to support the NDA for the vice president's elections. Whoever is the vice presidential candidate of the NDA, Shiv Sena will go with that," Sena MP and spokesperson Sanjay Raut told mediapersons.
The party is supporting the United Progressive Alliance Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee in the July 19 poll.
"We have not supported the Congress or the UPA on the presidential election, but we have endorsed Pranab Mukherjee's candidature," Raut said.
He said that Shiv Sena had not made any deal with any party on the presidential poll. "We have always opposed the Congress and shall continue to do so."
The Shiv Sena's clear stance on the vice presidential poll is expected to prove a relief to the NDA's leading partner, the Bharatiya Janata Party.
According to sources, the NDA is likely to field BJP leader and former cabinet minister Jaswant Singh for vice president to challenge UPA nominee and current Vice President Hamid Ansari, who has been fielded for a second term.
- Watch the five claims of Sharif at the 71st session of UNGA
- UK Police to Probe Pakistan-Born Actor's Anti-India Rant
- Debate Night: Clinton, Trump Set For High-Stakes Showdown
- Sushma Swaraj To Pakistan: Stop Dreaming About Kashmir
- Indus Water Treaty: Blood and Water Cannot Flow Together Says PM Modi
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ajit Doval, Jaishankar Attend Indus Waters Treaty Meet Chaired by PM Modi
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test