Karnataka: Siddaramaiah to present 'fresh' budget today
Siddaramaiah is expected to announce measures to augmenting resources 'without hurting the common man'.
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah will present the state budget on Friday at the beginning of the Assembly session amid indications that mobilising additional resources is a key thrust area of the Congress government.
This would be the second 2013-14 budget as the previous BJP government had already presented one taking a vote-of-account for the expenditure to be incurred for four months ending July 31 this year.
The Congress government, installed almost two months ago, has sought to unveil the "fresh budget" for what it described as setting its own priorities and policies.
Siddaramaiah, who has presented as many as seven budgets and kept the Finance portfolio with himself this time, is expected to announce measures to augmenting resources "without hurting the common man".
The Chief Minister, who devoted considerable amount of time in pre-budget consultations in the past few days, has weighed a number of options to marshal additional resources to fund subsidy schemes entailing huge expenditure.
On Thursday, it launched "Anna Bhagya Yojane", which would give BPL cardholders an entitlement of 30 kg of rice at Re 1 every month, at an estimated expenditure of Rs 4,200 crore in the current fiscal.
Both Houses of the State Legislature are slated to have the session till July 31.
(With Additional Inputs from PTI)
- Lewis Hamilton Beats Title Rival Nico Rosberg to Pole
- Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg Feeling the Pressure, Says Toto Wolff
- FBI, Homeland Security to Probe Cyber Attacks That Disrupted Twitter, Reddit, Spotify
- DDoS attacks on Dyn, Amazon services shut down Twitter, Other Websites in US East
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Triple Talaq a Religious Issue, PM Has No Right to Intervene: AIMPLB's Jilani
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh