Live TVLive TV
News18 » Politics
1-min read

Thackeray FB post: Shiv Sena calls for bandh in Palghar

First published: November 27, 2012, 7:23 PM IST | Updated: November 27, 2012
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Thackeray FB post: Shiv Sena calls for bandh in Palghar
The SP of the Thane district and a sub-inspector of Palghar police station were suspended on Tuesday.

Mumbai: Shiv Sena unit of Palghar has called for bandh on Wednesday in favour of police officials who were suspended a week after two girls in Thane district of Maharashtra were arrested over a Facebook post criticising the Mumbai bandh for the funeral of Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray. The Superintendent of Police of the Thane district and a sub-inspector of Palghar police station were suspended on Tuesday, but charges against the girls were not dropped.

This decision of the state government came a day after the Bombay High Court transferred the judicial magistrate who had sent the girls to judicial custody. The Palghar Bar Association has opposed the transfer calling it unjustified has decided to go on strike.

Meanwhile, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil said that the police officials were suspended for disobeying the orders of the IG of Konkan zone. Announcing the suspension in Mumbai, Patil said that the police had been authorised to apply the Information Technology Act only after consulting legal experts. "This decision has been taken by the state government. Thane (rural) SP and Palghar Sub-Inspector has been suspended for disobeying the orders of superiors," said Patil.

Reacting to the suspension of the police officials, the father of the girl who had posted the Facebook comment said that it was of no interest to him, and all he wanted was that the charges against his daughter be dropped. "If the charges are dropped, I am really very happy. And the other aspect where the police officers are being punished, is of no interest to me. I'm not in support of any action to them because in reality they have not harmed me or my child," he said.

He further said that his family had not received any threats over the issue, adding that his only concern was to get the case against her daughter dropped from the court.

facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp