Social, economic freedom still unattained: Meira Kumar
Meira Kumar was in Madhya Pradesh on the occasion of the unveiling of a life-size statue of former CM Shyamacharan Shukla.
Raipur: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said on Saturday that even though the country became independent in 1947, the battle for achieving social and economic freedom was still underway.
"Social and economic freedom can be gained only through parliamentary system and the legislature was exclusively created to achieve this goal. Our parliamentarians and legislators are trying hard to achieve this desired goal by raising the voice of the downtrodden," she said while unveiling a life-size statue of Shyamacharan Shukla, former chief minister of undivided Madhya Pradesh near Gandhi Udyan in Raipur.
Hailing the veteran Congress leader, who had served as chief minister for three terms, for his vision, Kumar said "leaders like him are inspiration for generations".
"It is imperative on us to fulfill the dreams of leaders like Shukla. Such dreams can not be fulfilled by one generation only. In fact, they tend to motivate us to make them a reality," Kumar added.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Wayne Rooney Ends China Rumours, to Stay at Manchester United
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1