Woman dies in Assam, is mistaken for woman who kissed Rahul at meet
Controversy erupted after the woman was wrongly identified as the woman who kissed Rahul Gandhi at a public meet in Jorhat on February 26.
Guwahati: Shortly after reports of the death of a woman who kissed Rahul Gandhi at a public meet in Assam, the state police issued denials saying that victim was another woman who was not even present during the meet.
"She is not the person who kissed. These are two separate incidents. We haven't found any link so far. Her name was not in the list of the women present at the meet," Jorhat SP Amanjeet Kaur said.
The police disclosed that the victim was a Congress ward member and her death could be a result of an altercation with her husband.
"We are investigating it as a case of unnatural death. The reason could be a husband-wife feud because as per our investigation, their relationship was not so good," the SP said.
The victim reportedly died of severe burn injuries and her husband too is in hospital with 40 per cent burns. The police have not said if it's murder or suicide.
Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi held a meeting with nearly 600 women in Jorhat on February 26. During a one-on-one meeting, a woman came from behind and kissed Rahul on the cheek. She was identified as Bonti. News reports on Saturday said that she had died due to burn injuries at the Jorhat Medical College. The police, however, quickly rebutted the claims.
- Indus Water Treaty: India Can't Unilaterally Separate Itself, Says Sharif
- Pakistan Capable of Meeting Any Threat: Nawaz Sharif
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- Saamna Cartoonist Expresses Regret Over Cartoon That Triggered Protests
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager