Stop training SL Army personnel: CPI to govt
The Communist Party of India said the government should respect the sentiments of the people of Tamil Nadu.
New Delhi: The Communist Party of India on Monday asked the government to stop training Sri Lankan Army personnel anywhere in India and respect the sentiments of the people of Tamil Nadu, who are opposed to any such measure.
CPI National Secretary D Raja dashed off a letter to Defence Minister AK Antony explaining the opposition to the training programme to Sri Lankan Army personnel in the state. He dubbed as "highly deplorable" Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju's statement that the training would continue.
"Instead of taking note of the strong feelings that prevail in Tamil Nadu over the issue of giving training to Sri Lankan Army, which carried out genocide of Tamils in Sri Lanka and committed war crimes, the government has reiterated its commitment to continue the training programme," Raja rued.
"The recent statement by Raju has further infuriated the already hurt feelings of Tamil people," the CPI MP said.
Raja told Antony that the government should immediately stop training Sri Lankan Army and make a categorical assurance to the people of Tamil Nadu in this regard.
The training to Sri Lankan Army was shifted from Chennai after a row erupted in July but parties in Tamil Nadu oppose training to the personnel from the neighbouring country anywhere in India.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi have been demanding that the training programme be scrapped immediately.
- Fresh Picture of Lalu's Sons With Scribe-Murder Accused Surfaces
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Stills: The Trailer is All About Love, Friendship, Heartbreak
- Supreme Court Notice to Lalu's Son, Shahabuddin in Journalist Murder Case
- Cricketer Mohammad Kaif Slams Media House For Confusing Him With Sharpshooter
- SAARC Summit Decision on Saturday, Pakistan Remains Defiant
- Pakistan to go Ahead With SAARC Summit Despite Boycott by Members
- SpaceX Chief Elon Musk Unveils Plans That Could Take Humans to Mars Very Soon
- Delhi Minister Satyendra Jain Alleges BJP Conspiracy Behind Income Tax Notice