Street Vendors Not to Be Removed During Festival Season: AAP
The picture featuring a vendor making chuski. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
New Delhi: The Delhi government has ordered its Urban Development Department and the three civic bodies in the national capital not to take any "coercive" action against street vendors during the festival season, a government official said on Thursday.
The decision was taken by Delhi's Urban Development Minister Satyender Jain at a meeting of officials from the Urban Development Department, PWD and the Revenue Department on Monday.
"No coercive action is to be taken against petty vendors during the festival season," said a government order which was shared with media on Thursday.
The order further directed the Principal Secretary (Urban Development) "to submit a comprehensive note detailing the response to the observations of Lt. Governor and the factual status regarding Town Vending Committees vis-a-vis the observations/directions of Delhi High Court in the pending cases of street vending".
Earlier in September, Delhi High Court had directed the authorities not to harass street vendors in the national capital or remove them and sought a response on the matter from various government authorities and bodies.
Delhi unit of the Congress party had accused the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government of harassing the poor street vendors and said it failed to implement the Street Vendors' (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Act, 2014, which regulates street vendors in public areas and protects their rights.
Recommended For You
- On Fire!Koffee With Karan: Parineeti Outshines Aditya With Her Wit And Charm
- Can't wait!Koffee With Karan: The 100th Episode Featuring Salman Khan is Going to be 'Khantastic'
- DisgustingBertolucci's Rape Scene Confession on the Sets of 'Last Tango in Paris' Leaves Hollywood Shocked
- Dead Rises AgainThe Mummy Trailer: Tom Cruise Starrer Reboot Rides High on Action
- PARTNER CONTENTCash Crunch: Yes Bank SIMsePAY Enables Cashless Transactions Without Smartphone or Internet