Student booked for circulating anti-Mamata cartoon on FB
The boy says he is being targeted as he is an activist of CPI(M)'s students wing, the SFI.
Kolkata: A police complaint was filed against a college student in Kolkata on Saturday for sharing cartoons of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on his Facebook account. "A police complaint has been filed by Trinamool Congress Chhatra Parishad (TC students wing) against Ram Nayan Choudhury for circulating cartoons indicting Chief Minister in it," officer of Bidhan Nagar (north) police station Santanu Kar said. "We are investigating the case," Kar added.
Choudhury, who is a second year student of a college in Salt Lake area and an activist of CPI(M) students wing SFI, said the cartoon criticised Banerjee's industry growth agenda and the arrest of a poor farmer after allegedly branding him as Maoist.
"It is nothing but a simple cartoon. It was for fun. The same cartoon also poked fun at Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni's poor performance in the Pakistan series," the youth said. He claimed that he has been 'targeted' because of his political background. "I don't know why they (TMC) are so intolerant. They should not forget that this is a democracy."
The incident brought back memories of the arrest of Jadavpur University chemistry professor Ambikesh Mahapatra who had circulated cartoons on Banerjee and the then Railway Minister Mukul Roy last year.
The professor was released on bail following controversy and criticism from various sections of the society.
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- India Should Start Talks with Pakistan: Sitaram Yechury
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- India 'Hiding' Casualties in Surgical Strike, Says Pakistan Army
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India