SFI activist death: Family to meet WB Governor
Sudipto was killed after being allegedly beaten up by police during a crackdown on a SFI protest earlier this week.
Kolkata: The family of SFI activist Sudipto Gupta is expected to meet West Bengal Governor on Friday. Sudipto was killed after being allegedly beaten up by police during a crackdown on a SFI protest earlier this week. Citing dissatisfaction with police investigations, his family has demanded a CBI probe.
The police, however, insists that Sudipto died after hitting a lamp post. To back up their claims, the Kolkata Police on Thursday said that the initial post-mortem report had shown that Sudipto died after hitting a stationary object and then hitting a rough structure.
Meanwhile, West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee remains in denial over the matter. On Thursday, she termed the incident as "small and petty". She denied that the death was caused due to police brutality. "It is a small and petty matter. It was an accident, there was no police atrocity. You can see the post-mortem report," she said in Bangalore where she went to confer West Bengal's prestigious Vishes Sangeet Mahasamman award on eminent playback singer Manna Dey.
The police, however, appealed to the media not to jump to conclusion as the investigations were still underway. "Our appeal to media is please don't jump to a conclusion because the way the entire incident is being projected is not right," Joint Commissioner (Hqs) Javed Shamim said.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology