BJP issues notification for presidential election
Nitin Gadkari will be elected unopposed if no other nomination is received by January 23.
New Delhi: The BJP on Sunday issued the notification for its Presidential election. Sources said that Nitin Gadkari is likely to file his nomination papers on January 23, and will be elected unopposed if no other nomination is received.
Sources had earlier claimed that LK Advani had proposed the names of Sushma Swaraj and Narendra Modi for the post. However, they say now that both the leaders have not shown any keenness in holding the post.
Sources say that Gadkari remains the consensus candidate, with even Modi throwing his weight behind him. Advani, however, remained doubtful of his renomination especially after the string of corruption charges against him.
Till last week, there was an exercise between Advani's camp and the RSS to arrive at a consensus candidate. According to the sources, Advani had reservation about Gadkari getting a second term because of charges about dubious funding of Purti Group with which he was associated.
RSS has been pitching for a second term for Gadkari with Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat himself backing him. It feels that Gadkari who took over soon after the BJP's second consecutive Lok Sabha poll defeat should lead the party in the next elections.
With additional information from PTI
- PM Narendra Modi to Review Border Situation in CCS Meet
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief
- Post Surgical Strike, PM Modi to Chair Cabinet Committee on Security Meeting
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- IMPPA Passes Resolution Temporarily Banning Pakistani Artistes In India
- Bhubaneswar-Bhadark Train Collides With Goods Train in Cuttack, 1 Dead
- Cauvery Water Row: Centre Fails to Broker Deal Between Karnataka, TN