Tamil Nadu: MDMK to contest Lok Sabha polls
MDMK had boycotted the assembly polls in 2011 following breakdown of seat sharing talks with AIADMK.
Chennai: After boycotting the 2011 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls and a token contest in the Sankarankoil (SC) bypoll later, MDMK has decided to contest the Lok Sabha elections scheduled in 2014. "We have decided to contest in the general elections. We cannot say anything further," party chief Vaiko said, announcing the party's decision here.
Asked whether he would contest and his party was forming an alliance with other parties, he said, "All I can say now is that my party will contest. I cannot say anything further." MDMK had boycotted the assembly polls in 2011 following breakdown of seat sharing talks with AIADMK and had fielded its nominee for the Sankarankoil (SC) bye-election.
Replying to another query on the AIADMK supremo and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa's walking out from the National Development Council meeting in Delhi, he said, "When a Chief Minister is making an important speech, the Centre should have permitted her to talk."
"They (the Centre) could have been lenient on this. There was no need for the Centre to stop her speech.This is not good."
On Jayalalithaa's proposal recommending harsher punishment for crime against women, he said liquor was the main reason behind them and harsher punishments can be effective only upto a point.
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai's Scorching Chemistry Will Make Your Jaws Drop
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18