Tamil Nadu polls: 2,773 candidates in fray
A total of 2,773 candidates are in the fray for the 234-member TN Legislative Assembly.
Chennai: A total of 2,773 candidates are in the fray for the April 13 elections to the 234-member Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly after the deadline for withdrawal of nominations ended on Wednesday.
In total, 313 candidates withdrew their nominations and there were 2,773 candidates, including independents, in the fray, an Election Commission release said in Chennai on Wednesday.
Among the prominent candidates in the fray are Chief Minister M Karunanidhi (Tiruvarur), AIADMK General Secretary J Jayalalithaa (Srirangam) and actor-politician Vijaykanth of DMDK (Rishivandhiyam).
In Tiruppur North, which received the highest of 151 nominations, 81 were rejected in scrutiny while 60 candidates withdrew their papers, finally leaving ten in the contest.
Dr Radhakrishnan Nagar constituency in Chennai has the highest number of the 31 candidates while Nagapattinam segment has the lowest of four contestants, it said.
The final list of contesting candidates would be known only on receipt of Form 7A on Thursday.
Recommended For You
- Sachin Tendulkar Says Virat Kohli and Boys Will Come Back Hard
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Oscars 2017: 20 Lesser Known Facts About the Most Prestigious Film Awards
- PV Sindhu Says All England is Like Any Other Super Series for Her