Tamil Nadu polls: Cash, freebies seized
58 Expenditure Observers from various states have arrived to take part in poll related duties.
Chennai: About Rs 17 crore worth of products including unaccounted cash of Rs 9 crore were seized so far in the run up to the April 13 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls so far, state Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar said on Saturday.
"Rs 8 crore worth of freebies (like sarees and dhoties) and unaccounted cash of Rs 9 crore were seized so far," Kumar told reporters here.
Stating that the Election Commission has registered 35,240 complaints against various political parties for violation of model code of conduct, he said 34,000 cases alone were related to defacement of walls.
He said, about 10 lakh fresh applications for obtaining Electoral Photo Identity Cards (EPIC) were received. "They would be verified and issued to the eligible persons", he said.
He said 58 Expenditure Observers from various states were arrived here to take part in poll related duties.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- President Trump May Inspire Jimmy Kimmel's Oscars Monologue
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- New Audi A4 30 TFSI Review: It is Powerful and Environment Friendly
- Comedian Bharti Singh All Set to Tie the Knot by the End of 2017