TDP RS member quits after row over absence
An angry Chandrababu Naidu said loss of one MP or MLA would not matter too much to the party.
Hyderabad: One of three Rajya Sabha members of the Telugu Desam Party, who were absent during the vote on the foreign direct investment bill in the upper house of Parliament, on Sunday sent his resignation to party president N Chandrababu Naidu.
Y Sujana Chowdary said he has sent his resignation from the Rajya Sabha membership to Naidu. The industrialist-politician said the party president had not asked him to quit but he was hurt over the remarks made by a section of the party leaders despite his clarification.
The absence of Chowdary along with T Devender Goud and Gundu Sudha Rani during the vote in the upper house on Friday has created a ruckus in the party with a section of leaders seeking strong action against them.
Naidu, who is on a 'padyatra' of the state, was embarrassed as the absence of the MPs led to YSR Congress Party and Telangana Rashtra Samithi alleging that the TDP was hand in glove with the Congress party. Some rivals of the MPs within the TDP went to the extent of alleging that they were bought over by the Congress.
Taking a serious note of the issue, Naidu said those who committed a mistake would face the punishment. Addressing a public meeting in Adilabad district on Sunday night, he said Goud had communicated to him in advance that he would not be able to attend the house due to ill-health.
"Two others have given letters to me, explaining the reasons for their absence. They regretted it and apologised to the party cadre. I am looking into the issue," said Naidu. "If something is proved, strong action will be taken.
"If one MP or MLA goes, there is no loss to the party," said an angry Naidu. While stating that the TDP remained opposed to FDI in retail sector, the former chief minister admitted publicly that he was upset over the absence of party MPs at a time when he was taking pains to walk across the state to know the people's problems and strengthen the party.
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: Andhra Turn Tables on J&K; Himachal Force a Draw Against Tripura
- Donald Trump Says He Will Win General Elections
- Hillary Clinton Says She Will No Longer Respond to Donald Trump