TMC suspends workers who heckled dancers
TMC leader Derek O'Brien tweeted saying the punishment was in line with Mamata's zero-tolerance policy.
Kolkata: After being embarrassed, the Trinamool Congress has suspended the party workers who threw money at women dancers at its foundation day party on Tuesday. Party MP Derek O'Brien tweeted saying that the TMC disciplinary committee was meeting to take a call, and that expulsion was not ruled out.
He also said that this was in line with Mamata's zero-tolerance policy.
A video shot at the event showed the TMC workers heckling the dancers at an event in South 24 Parganas district. The party took place right opposite the local police station, sponsored by the Trinamool Congress party and was organised by TMC zila parishad member Meer Taheer Ali.
TMC's Derek O'Brien said the event was crass and regrettable, adding that strict action will be taken against the guilty. However, he stopped short of specifying the action against the men.
The CPM and the National Commission for Women, meanwhile, slammed the party over the incident. CPM leader Mohd Salim said, "It's shocking. We have a certain culture in politics. When all the people are apposing it, this depicts the picture of TMC today. The TMC has organised foundation day, where dancers are dancing and the members of that party are throwing money. Mamata Banerjee is the founder of the party."
NCW chief Mamta Sharma was equally harsh. "After so many years of Independence, if these sorts of programmes are happening, it's shameful. It is dirty. And politicians of all the parties should oppose it. To carry out such a shameful display publicly is not expected out of politicians," she said.
- Mulayam's Peace Efforts End up Widening Rift Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh
- Iraqi Forces Encounter Stiff Resistance from ISIS in Mosul
- Jio MAMI 2016: 10 Facts About Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar Revealed by Cast
- Legendary Punjabi Actor Mehar Mittal Passes Away
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official