TN: Karuna criticises Vijaykanth's suspension
DMK President M Karunanidhi said the action was an example of the AIADMK's 'anti-democratic' rule.
Chennai: Slamming the suspension of Leader of the Opposition Vijaykanth from the Assembly, DMK President M Karunanidhi on Sunday said the action was an example of the AIADMK's 'anti-democratic' rule.
"Things which are anti-democratic and tend to demolish democracy are happening in the AIADMK rule. The repressive action and atrocities (unleashed) against Vijaykanth are an example to it," he told reporters in Chennai.
Vijaykanth, whose party DMDK fought the Assembly polls last year in alliance with AIADMK, was suspended last week for 10 days from the Assembly for breach of privilege during a heated exchange with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
Protesting the suspension announced on February 2 by Speaker D Jayakimar, DMK and Left parties had walked out of the Assembly charging the Jayalalithaa government with being "dictatorial".
Asked about the DMK's campaign strategy for the upcoming Sankarankovil Assembly by-election, Karunanidhi sarcastically said he would praise the rise in bus fares and shifting of the Secretariat and Anna Centenary Library by AIADMK government.
He hastened to add that his party would campaign with a strategy of making its candidate win the bypoll.
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock For Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya