TN: Rs 5 cr unaccounted cash seized from bus
This was the biggest haul of unaccounted cash in poll-bound Tamil Nadu so far.
Chennai: In the biggest haul of unaccounted cash in poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Income Tax officials on Tuesday seized Rs 5.11 crore from a private bus in Tiruchirappalli, a senior official said. The cash, kept in travel bags on the roof of the bus, was seized around 2 am and nobody came forward to claim it, Chief Electoral Officer Praveen Kumar told reporters here.
With this, the Election Commission had so far seized around Rs 25 crore unaccounted cash during intensified checks on vehicles and premises as part of measures to prevent use of money power in the polls. The previous single biggest seizure was made at Madurai last month when Rs 3.5 crore was recovered. Kumar said no one has staked claims for the cash seized since last month.
On bogus voting, he said instructions had been given to polling booth officials to allow voters to exercise their franchise on a ballot paper even if their vote was already cast by some one else.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Sunny Pawar Is Winning Hollywood One Award Ceremony at a Time
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- 'Indecision' Review System: India Get 17 Out of 55 Calls Right