Tripura polls: 2 CPM workers injured in clashes with Cong workers
Reports also said that Congress supporters allegedly attacked Left cadres in Khayerpur on the outskirts of capital Agartala.
Agartala: Less than a day to go for the Assembly elections in Tripura, two CPM workers have been hospitalised after sustaining serious injuries during clashes with Congress workers. A few campaign vehicles were also damaged.
Reports also said that Congress supporters allegedly attacked Left cadres in Khayerpur on the outskirts of capital Agartala. Manik Sarkar, the country's longest serving chief minister, has been ruling the state since 1998.
Earlier on Monday, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi alleged central funds to Tripura for development are being diverted to the ruling Communist Party of India (Marxist)'s party fund. "The Centre sent huge amount of money for the state's development but it is diverted to CPI-M party funds. The fund for development, for construction of roads, for MGMNREGA or employment generation all go to that party," he told an election rally in Agartala.
Terming the Left Front government in the state as "anti-people", Gandhi urged people to oust CPI(M) in the February 14 state Assembly polls so that they could enjoy the benefit of good governance. "There is an allegation against Congress that it has an understanding with CPI-M. But we have the understanding of uprooting the CPI-M from power and throwing them out. We have ousted them from Kerala and West Bengal and now time has come to throw them out of Hindusthan," he said.
Tripura will go to polls on February 14. Over 23 lakh voters, nearly half of whom are women will exercise their franchise in the February 14 elections to the 60-member assembly in Tripura, official sources said on Saturday. Publishing the final voters' list, Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Asutosh Jindal said that of the 23,52,505 voters, 11,64,656 were women.
(With additional information from PTI)
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Sharif Chairs Cabinet Meet Day After Indian Strike on Terror Camps Across LoC