Unequal distribution of health benefits in country: Azad
Ghulam Nabi Azad said India made rapid stride in the field of medical education in the recent years to provide more health care professionals.
New Delhi: India has made substantial progress in building health infrastructure but the progress achieved has not been uniform across the country, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said on Tuesday.
Speaking at a ceremony at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in New Delhi, Azad said: "While it is acknowledged that that India has made substantial progress in building health infrastructure and improving its health indicators over the last few years, the progress achieved has not been uniform across all the states."
"There are notable differences in the health parameters between different states, between regions within states, across urban and rural areas and amongst different sections of the society," he said.
He said India made rapid stride in the field of medical education in the recent years to provide more health care professionals.
"In just over three years' time, the availability of MBBS seats went up from 33,567 to 45,629 and the number of PG seats increased from 13,838 to 22,850. 72 new medical colleges, including six AIIMS, were established raising the number from 290 to 362," he said.
About 43,500 new health infrastructure works have been created and nearly 145,000 human resources added at various levels.
"There has been an increase of 70,000 beds to provide essential and emergency services, which has helped in bringing healthcare services to all, especially to the marginalized and vulnerable sections living in rural, remote and difficult to access areas," he added.
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan Make The Most Stylish Couple; Here's The Proof
- Cauvery Water Row: Centre Fails to Broker Deal Between Karnataka, TN
- Pakistani Artistes Not Terrorists, They Have Visas: Salman Khan
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution