UP: 'Cong will play crucial role in govt formation'
Party leader Rajeev Shukla described as hypothetical, suggestions that Rahul Gandhi needed to take the blame if the party performed poorly in UP.
New Delhi: The Congress on Monday claimed it will play a crucial role in formation of the next government in Uttar Pradesh and dismissed as personal views Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma's suggestions for a tie-up with BSP.
"We will cross the bridge when we come to it. The results have not yet come...," Congress leader and Union Minister Rajeev Shukla told reporters on the sidelines of an All-party meeting convened by Speaker Meira Kumar ahead of the Budget Session of Parliament commencing on March 12.
Rejecting as "hypothetical" suggestions that Rahul Gandhi needed to take the blame if the party performed poorly in Uttar Pradesh, Shukla said party's performance will be "very good" and the results will lead to revival of the party.
"To talk about the results before they are out is hypothetical. Congress will have a crucial role in government formation (in UP)," he said. Asked about Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma's comments on supporting BSP, Shukla said, "Those are not party's views. He must have said in his personal capacity."
Speaking separately, Samajwadi Party leader Shailendra Kumar said that his party would form the government in UP having a 403-member Assembly even if "we get 165 seats". "We will get a clear majority but even if we fall short of 20-25 seats, we will get support from secular parties... It is for the Congress to ponder over and decide," he said, when asked whether Congress will support it.
In an obvious reference to the Congress-led UPA at the Centre, he said the SP has supported the Congress on several issues and also opposed it on some others and "we expect the same from the secular forces".
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor
- Theatre Is a Beautiful Platform, Says Shahid Kapoor
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh
- News360: Can Patriarch MSY Solve Chacha-Bhatija Spat?
- Amar Singh Got Akhilesh Story Planted in Newspaper: Ashu Malik
- SP's Abu Azmi Lashes Out at Amar Singh, Blames him For Crisis in Party