UP: Dimple Yadav set to be elected unopposed
Akhilesh Yadav's wife is all set to be elected unopposed as both candidates in the fray against her have withdrawn their nominations.
Kannauj: Dimple Yadav, wife of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav is all set to be elected unopposed from the Kannauj Lok Sabha seat with both candidates in the fray against her withdrawing their nominations for the by-election.
On the last day of the withdrawal of names on Friday, Dashrath Singh Shankwar (Samyukt Samajwadi Dal) and Sanju Katiyar (Independent), withdrew their nominations leaving Dimple the only candidate in the electoral fray, Additional Electoral Officer Ramesh Chand Yadav said.
An official announcement in this regard could be made later by the Election Commission.
After Congress and BSP decided against fielding their nominees and the BJP candidate failed to file his nomination papers at the last minute, Dimple was expected to get a walkover on the seat vacated by her husband Akhilesh Yadav when he became the chief minister and was elected to the Legislative Council.
The Congress had opted not to contest the election in Kannauj saying it did not field its candidate even in 2009 elections and the BSP had decided to keep away from the bypoll alleging the ruling party of continuing with its tradition of nepotism by fielding Dimple.
In a volte face, the BJP which had decided against contesting the by-election had announced the candidature of Jagdev Yadav shortly before the 3 pm deadline for filing of nominations.
Yadav, however, failed to reach the returning officer's office in time to file the papers and later alleged that he was stopped by SP workers at two places.
Dimple, 35, filed her nomination papers on Tuesday.
She had suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Congress' Raj Babbar in the by-polls for the Firozabad Lok Sabha seat in 2009.
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Grandmother of Captured Indian Soldier Chandu Babulal Chavan Dies of Shock
- India Shouldn't Unilaterally Scrap Indus Waters Treaty: Medha Patkar
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Love is a Feeling Beyond Your Control: Ranbir Kapoor
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham