UP polls: 57 pc votes cast in phase 6
The phase six polls will decide the fate of 1103 candidates, including 86 women.
Lucknow: An estimated 57 per cent votes were cast on Tuesday in the sixth and penultimate phase of Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls in 68 seats across 13 districts, popularly known as the Jat land, where voting was by and large peaceful. "Barring minor incidents, polling process was peacefully over at 5 PM and as per an estimate 57 per cent of 2.17 crore voters exercised their franchise," an Election Commission official said.
Today polls will decide the fate of 1103 candidates, including 86 women. Police used mild force to disperse a local BSP leader and his supporters who created a ruckus at a polling centre at Singhani gate area in Ghaziabad on the outskirts of Delhi.
They were protesting against the absence of booth level officers to distribute voter slips. Similarly, in Agra, people were agitated over alleged irregularities at a centre at Ahmadia Hameedia college in Mantola.
In Bhatta Parsaul, which was the centre of the land acquisition row, farmers were seen coming out to vote. Their leader Manvir Singh Tevatia, who had spearheaded the farmers' agitation, is fighting elections from jail. The area falls under the Jewar Assembly seat.
Congress has fielded Dhirendra Singh from Jewar. He was the man on whose bike Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi had reached Bhatta Parsaul last year.
In Chief Minister Mayawati's native Badalpur village, farmers had lined up to cast their vote even before the polling began. BSP has fielded Satvir Gujjar, the sitting MLA, while Congress has fielded Samir Bhatti. Bhatti had once served as MLA from Dadri and his father Mahinder Singh Bhatti represented the seat twice. BJP has fielded Nawab Singh Nagar, who was twice elected MLA from the seat. Samajwadi Party has fielded Raj Kumar Bhatti.
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Big B Has a Different Level of Passion Towards His Work: Anees Bazmee
- Kareena Kapoor is Setting Trends During Pregnancy: Soha Ali Khan
- Amitabh Bachchan Feels It's Pitiable For a Woman To Catch Culprit But Not Take Action
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Mirzya New Trailer is All About Love, Passion and Music
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan