Vice Presidential election on August 7
The term of the incumbent Vice President Hamid Ansari expires on August 10.
New Delhi: Election to the post of Vice President will be held on August 7 and the results would be out on the same day, the Election Commission announced on Tuesday.
The term of the incumbent Md Hamid Ansari expires on August 10. Announcing the poll schedule, the Election Commission, after its meeting, decided that it would issue the notification on July 6, which will set the election process in motion.
While the last date for filing nominations is July 20, after scrutiny the next day, the last date for withdrawal of candidatures is July 23.
The counting of votes will take place on August 7. The Vice-President is elected by the members of the electoral college consisting of members of both Houses of Parliament. There are a total of 790 members of Parliament.
Unlike in the Presidential election, the nominated members of both Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha are also eligible participate in the election for the post of Vice President.
A nomination paper of a candidate has to be proposed by at least twenty electors and seconded by as many.
Recommended For You
- I Always Wanted to Bat Like Virender Sehwag, Says Sunil Gavaskar
- Post Jolly LLB 2 Success, Makers Plan to Make a Sequel
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times