Vijaykanth suspended from Tamil Nadu Assembly
Vijaykanth has been suspended for 10 days for breach of privilege during a heated exchange with Jayalalithaa.
Chennai: In an unusual action, Leader of Opposition in Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykanth was on Thursday suspended for 10 days for breach of privilege during a heated exchange with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
Speaker D Jayakumar's action against the actor-politician came a day after he and his DMDK MLAs were evicted en masse capping an acrimonious exchange with Jayalalithaa.
As the House met for the day, Jayakumar announced Vijaykanth's suspension on recommendations of the Privileges Committee. This led to spontaneous protests by DMDK members who shouted slogans and walked out after their demand for a discussion on it went unheeded.
Members of DMK and Left parties, who were also part of the AIADMK-led alliance, also walked out charging the Jayalalithaa government with being "dictatorial".
The House adopted a resolution moved by Finance Minister and leader of the House O Pannerselvam after the Privileges Committee report was tabled.
The other members of DMDK did not face any action, the Speaker said, adding they would not be spared if they persist with such behaviour.
Hitting back at Jayalalithaa, Vijaykanth told reporters outside the House, "Even I am ashamed of this alliance. I was never for the alliance, but for the desire of my party cadre."
There were many AIADMK members who had pushed him for the alliance with DMDK. "It's because of their alliance with us, they came to power... they forgot and are ungrateful," the founder leader of DMDK said.
Referring to AIADMK's short lived tie-up with BJP as an NDA allay during its 13-month rule, he recalled A B Vajpayee's quote, "I am going to have a good sleep" after his government fell due to withdrawal of support by Jayalalithaa.
"I thought Jayalalithaa has changed, but she is not," said Vijaykanth, whose party had contested the civic elections in 2011 on its own, virtually indicating parting of the ways between the two allies.
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Hillary Clinton Says She Will No Longer Respond to Donald Trump
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 3 in Abu Dhabi
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit