VS Sampath named new Election Commissioner
Power Secretary VS Sampath is tipped to take the charge on April 20.
New Delhi: Power Secretary VS Sampath will be the new Election Commissioner, official sources said on Wednesday.
Sampath is tipped to take charge on April 20, the day Chief Election Commissioner N Gopalaswami retires, paving way for Election Commissioner Navin Chawla to take up the top job.
The 1973 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer whose name was put forward almost a week back, Sampath has held several senior positions in the government, a senior official told IANS.
Sampath has worked in the ministries of agriculture, energy and finance. In January this year, he took charge as power secretary. Before that, he was secretary in the department of chemicals and fertilizers.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Wayne Rooney Edges Closer to Chinese Super League
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1