DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
WB cannot offer sops due to financial constraints: Mamata
Real estate companies had sought reduction in tax on housing.
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday indicated that the state cannot offer fiscal sops and benefits to lure industry like others due to its financial constraints. "What Mumbai, Delhi, Gujarat, Chennai can offer we cannot as our situation is different from them," Banerjee said, addressing a conclave on urban infrastructure development 'Bengal Builds' here.
"We are facing a legacy of 35 years (of Left Front rule). The government is in debt trap and so we are in a different situation (from the other states). The demands (of the infrastructure companies) are genuine but our options are limited due to financial constraints," she said, adding, the situation is so grim that the state has to even think how to pay its employees their salaries in time.
Real estate companies had sought reduction in tax on housing. Banerjee, however, did not respond to builders body Credai's demand for repealing Urban Land Celing Act. A cabinet committee on urban infrastructure was formed with some senior cabinet ministers to facilitate urban infrastructure projects.
Recommended For You
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Virat Kohli and Shikhar Dhawan Turn on Delhi Swag in London
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Big B Celebrates 40 Years of Amar Akbar Anthony with an Adorable Photo
- Sehwag Blames Wife for Missing Sachin's Movie Premiere With Hilarious Tweet