WB: EC notice to Anil Basu for Mamata comments
The EC on Wednesday sent a show cause notice to Anil Basu for making disparaging comments against Mamata Banerjee.
Kolkata: The Election Commission (EC) on Wednesday sent a show cause notice to Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPM) leader Anil Basu for making disparaging comments against Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee.
"The TMC had lodged a complaint against Basu for the comments he made. In this regard we have sent him a letter asking him to give satisfactory explanation as to why action should not be initiated against him," Joint Chief Electoral Officer Dibyendu Sarkar said in Kolkata.
Sarkar also informed that the letter has been sent to the district magistrate of Hooghly for delivering it to Basu. While addressing an election rally at Arambagh in Hooghly district on Friday, Basu had made some derogatory comments against Mamata.
Local television channels picked up the bytes and continuously aired the clip. Some of the channels even censored the comments, describing the words as "unsuitable for broadcasting".
Basu later tendered a public apology after the CPM leadership openly censured him.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner