West Bengal: Suspected TMC activists torch houses of Congress, CPM workers
Nearly 40 houses of both CPM and Congress workers were burnt down by alleged TMC workers.
Kolkata: Violence erupted in West Bengal just a day before the first phase of the panchayat polls. Nearly 40 houses of both CPM and Congress workers were burnt down allegedly by TMC workers.
A local Congress leader Asit Mitra was hurt and has been admitted to a hospital. Reports suggest that the attackers came on motorbikes. This inspite a state election commission ban on the use of motorcycles for Panchayat poll campaigns.
Polling will take place in Bankura, West Midnapur and Purulia districts on Thursday.
Of the total 58,865 seats going to polls, 6,274 have been won uncontested, a majority by the Trinamool Congress. In all 1.7 lakh candidates are in fray in over 17 districts. Most panchayats and zilla parishads are now under control of the Left Front.
The TMC, the ruling party, and Opposition Congress have failed to reach an understanding over seats and the CPI(M)-led Left Front, which is still smarting from the humiliating defeat in the assembly polls, is looking to cash in on it.
Trinamool Congress leaders claim that the party is confident about continuing its winning streak since the assembly polls in 2011 and prove that the Saradha chitfund scandal, Kamduni rape and murder and a string of other incidents will not have a bearing on the poll results.
- Russia Asks Pakistan to Take Steps to Contain Terror Groups
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Surgical Strike Across LoC: US Objects to Pakistan's Nuclear Threats Against India
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
From Our Network
- Shahabuddin jailed, alcohol ban lifted: Win-lose situation for Bihar CM Nitish Kumar- FirstPost
- This is how Bihar’s Ghatak platoons avenged Uri attack during surgical strike - Pradesh18
- News Digest: HC defers hearing on plea challenging Modi election; How Bihar’s Ghatak platoons avenged Uri attack & more - Pradesh18