WB: West Midnapore voters under fear psychosis
Forty-seven political clashes were reported in Midnapore in which 92 persons were injured.
Midnapur: A large number of voters living in the Maoist stronghold areas of West Midnapore district have developed a fear psychosis in view of the Maoist threat, a senior district official said.
The voters comprising almost eight per cent of the total electorate of the district were residents of Jamboni, Jhargram, Binpur, Nayagram, Gopiballabhpur, Salboni and Midnapore Sadar, district magistrate Surendra Gupta said.
The Election Commission has been apprised of the matter, the DM said.
Altogether 2,511 persons were identified as trouble mongers, of whom 1,051 persons were arrested, he said. Despite having adequate police personnel during voting, Gupta said para-military personnel would also be deployed.
Forty-seven political clashes were reported in the district in which 92 persons were injured. Thirty complaints were lodged against CPM in this connection, 16 against the Trinamool Congress and one complaint against others, he said.
One hundred and thirty-two firearms, 37 landmines, 32 detonators and firearms were seized.
There are 903 polling booths in the district, which is going to polls on the fifth and last phase of elections on May 7 and May 10 respectively.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Oscars 2017: Complete List Of Winners
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone Turn The Heat Up At Pre-Oscar 2017 Party
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017 Red Carpet: Priyanka, Nicole, Emma Are Here To Turn Around The Fashion Game