We will become slaves of the West: SAD on FDI
SAD MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal said the government's decision to bring in FDI would hit the manufacturing sector.
New Delhi: Shiromani Akali Dal MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal on Wednesday opposed the government's decision to allow foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail. Badal added FDI would lead to India becoming "slave" of the western countries.
Participating in the debate in the Lok Sabha on the motion against allowing FDI in retail, Badal said the government's decision would hit the manufacturing sector. She said the decision would also severely hit small traders.
"We will become slaves of the West. Our manufacturing sector will die," she said. Badal, whose speech was interrupted by some Congress members, said it was the government's duty to build a storage infrastructure. "Is building infrastructure the duty of the government or a foreign company?" she asked.
Congress member Partap Singh Bajwa referred to remarks made by Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, the husband of Harsimrat Kaur Badal, on FDI in retail. "Do you not talk within the family?" he said, taking a dig at the SAD member.
Harsimrat Kaur Badal retorted by saying Bajwa was trying to impress party president Sonia Gandhi so that he could be appointed chief of Punjab's Congress unit.
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Bhubaneswar-Bhadark Train Collides With Goods Train in Cuttack, 1 Dead
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution
- Rahul Gandhi Flays RSS, Accuses it of Trying to 'Divide India'
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Grandmother of Captured Indian Soldier Chandu Babulal Chavan Dies of Shock