DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
WB: TMC wins Howrah by-poll by 27,000 votes
The victory margin, however, is slimmer compared to the 2009 election results when TMC's Ambica Banerjee defeated his CPM rival by 37,392 votes.
Howrah: The Trinamool Congress candidate Prasun Banerjee has won the Howrah by-poll over its CPI(M) rival Sridip Bhattacharya by 27,000 votes.
The result in the by-poll is seen as the trust vote for Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee after the chit fund scam hit West Bengal.
The election has been necessitated following the death of Trinamool Congress MP Ambica Banerjee on April 25.
Banerjee had won the seat in teh 2009 General Elections by 37,392 votes. He defeated Swadesh Chakrabortty of the CPM. Ambica had got 477,449 against Swadesh's 440,057. In contrast this time, Prasun Banerhee of TMC got fewer votes (426,273) and the margin of victory was also slimmer (27,000).
The polling on Sunday saw 64 per cent turnout with no reports of violence.
Advocate Sanatan Mukherjee contested on the Congress ticket.
(With Additional Inputs From PTI)
Recommended For You
- Reason For Aleem Dar's New Look Revealed
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams: It Coasts Along on the Strength of Nostalgia
- Take a Journey Through the Lives of Famous Sportsmen With These Films
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi