West Bengal polls: Pranab's son joins Congress
Abhijeet Mukherjee is likely to be fielded as a Congress candidte from Birbhum's Nalhati constituency.
Kolkata: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee's son Abhijeet Mukherjee was on Monday inducted into the Congress party. Speaking on the occasion, Abhijeet told media persons: "I became a Congress member today and now I am, as in the words of (Congress general secretary) Rahul Gandhi, a servant of the common man."
"As is usual in an Indian family, I sought the permission of my father. He said the decision is yours. You have my blessings. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to take the plunge," said Abhijeet, who was working in the Steel Authority of India (SAIL) as a general manager but quit a few days back. He said he will start working to serve people in his home district of Birbhum.
On being the son of a famous father, Abhijeet quipped: "Having a famous father has its disadvantages as well as advantages. Would you all have assembled here had anybody else been here instead of me?"
He is likely to be fielded as a Congress candidte from Birbhum's Nalhati constituency in the April-May West Bengal assembly polls.
Recommended For You
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class Extended Wheelbase Launched at Rs 56.15 Lakh
- Gionee M2017 First Look: Check Out the Rs 1.66 Lakh Gionee Phone
- Virat Kohli and Boys Go Trekking To Unwind After Pune Debacle
- Watch: How VJ Bani Debunks Stereotypes With Her Heavy Weight Training
- Shekhar Suman Takes a Dig at Kangana Ranaut, Twitteratis Shut Him up Perfectly