Who is Anna? Parliament is supreme: Paswan
The prime minister should not be brought under the purview of the Lokpal, Ram Vilas Paswan said.
New Delhi: Taking a dig at Anna Hazare for resorting to "mobocracy" in pushing his demand for a strong Lokpal, Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan on Thursday said the government should not bow down to pressure and rush with the legislation.
"Who is Anna? Why should he dictate terms to parliament? The government should not bow down to his pressure," said Paswan during the debate on the bill in the Rajya Sabha.
Asking where has the Lokpal term come from, Paswan said, "Parliament is supreme and should make laws."
"Laws are not made on the streets," he said.
Suggesting autonomy for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), he, however, said that the prime minister should not be brought under the purview of the Lokpal.
"The prime minister is the leader of the country. He should not be brought under the Lokpal," said Paswan.
Batting for the rights of the Dalits and minorities, Paswan also criticised the BJP for opposing reservation for these categories under the proposed anti-graft ombudsman.
"We will oppose the Lokpal bill if there is no reservation for these categories," he said.
Paswan said the Lokpal bill should be sent to a select committee of parliament as it had been drafted in a hurry.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 3310: This is How The Remodeled Unit Will Look Like
- HIL 2017 Live Updates: Dabang Mumbai vs Delhi Waveriders, Semi-final
- AB de Villiers Breaks Sourav Ganguly's Record
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology