Will even go to SC for justice: Abhay Chautala
"It's not a corruption case and we didn't do any wrong thing and we are not guilty," said Ajay.
New Delhi: Former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala's son Abhay Singh Chautala says he will appeal against his and his father's conviction in the higher court and if required will also go to the Supreme Court.
Chautala, his MLA son Ajay and 53 others were convicted on Wednesday by a court in New Delhi for the illegal recruitment of over 3000 junior basic trained (JBT) teachers in the state during his tenure. They will remain under judicial custody till January 22 when the court will pronounce the sentence in the case. All 55 convicts were taken into custody in the illegal recruitment case on Wednesday
Ajay said that he will study the court order to see under what charges the 55 people have been convicted and decide on the future course of action. "It's not a corruption case and we didn't do any wrong thing and we are not guilty," said Ajay.
Abhay said it every thing will be clear after January 22. "There are higher courts where such cases can be appealed. We will certainly go to High Court and if required we'll go to the Supreme Court. The Congress is misusing the CBI," said Abhay.
Kuldeep Bishnoi, Haryana Janhit Congress chief and son of former chief minister Bhajan Lal, said that people's trust will increase in the judiciary after such verdicts. He blamed Haryana's poor law and order and rising crimes against women in the state on the poor quality of education, which he said was a direct result of the recruitment scam.
Congress leader Navin Jindal said his party has been raising the recruitment scam and now Om Prakash Chautala has been arrested. It is very shameful that a former chief minister has been arrested, Jindal said. Another Haryana minister Randeep Surjewala said that the convicts have been given the punishment for playing with the future of others and it should be a lesson for others.
Former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala, his MLA son Ajay and 53 others were convicted on Wednesday by a court in New Delhi for the illegal recruitment of over 3000 junior basic trained (JBT) teachers in the state during his tenure. After the court pronounced its judgement, all the convicts were taken into judicial custody. The court has fixed January 22 for pronouncing the quantum of sentence.
Special CBI Judge Vinod Kumar held Chautala, his son and others guilty of offences under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA). Apart from the Chautalas, Sanjiv Kumar, the then Director of Primary Education, Chautala's former Officer on Special Duty Vidya Dhar and Sher Singh Badshami, political advisor to the then Haryana chief minister were convicted by the court in the case.
The court has fixed January 17, 19 and 21 for hearing the arguments on sentence. The court had framed charges against them under sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 420 (cheating), 467 (forgery), 468 (forgery for cheating), 471 (using as genuine a forged document) of the IPC and and provisions of the PCA. The court had reserved its verdict in the case on December 17, 2012 after conclusion of final arguments by the CBI and the defence counsel.
Out of the initial 62 accused, six had died during the trial while one had been discharged by the court at the time of framing of charges. The court had earlier found prima facie evidence against Chautala, his son Ajay and 53 others, including IAS officers Dhar and Kumar. Kumar was made accused by the CBI after he exposed the JBT recruitment scam.