Will set Walmart store on fire: Uma Bharti
Uma Bharti said economic liberalisation has snatched employment opportunities of about 90 per cent of the poor people.
Lucknow: BJP leader Uma Bharti on Friday threatened to set on fire Walmart store wherever it opens in the country to register her party's protest against allowing Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
"By giving permission to Walmart to directly invest in the retail sector, the Centre has jeopardised the employment opportunities of Dalits, poor and backwards," she told reporters in Lucknow.
"I would personally set afire the showroom when it opens anywhere in the country and I am ready to be arrested for the act," Bharti said, condemning the decision of the Union cabinet to allow 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail and 100 per cent FDI in single-brand retail.
She said that she had apprised BJP president Nitin Gadkari of her plan of action.
Meanwhile, commenting on her remarks, CPI MP Gurudas Dasgupta in New Delhi said, "This is crazy talk... This is not the way... Having been a member of Parliament, can she speak like this?"
Bharti also ventilated her strong displeasure against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi and accused them of "shedding crocodile tears" in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh and expressing "fake anger".
"I too feel angry at the Central and state governments," she said.
If Rahul was really concerned over the plight of dalits, poor and backwards he should ask the Prime Minister to prevent the arrival of Walmart, she said.
"Economic liberalisation has snatched employment opportunities of about 90 per cent of the poor people and benefited only 10 per cent," Bharti said.
- Mulayam's Peace Efforts End up Widening Rift Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Jio MAMI 2016: 10 Facts About Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar Revealed by Cast
- Happy Birthday Prabhas: 6 of His Unforgettable Performances
- Army Officials Reject Raj Thackeray's Welfare Fund Proposal