Winter session: Pranab likely to speak on 2G
A meeting of the Congress core committee on Monday decided to put up a strong defence of Chidambaram.
New Delhi: A meeting of the Congress core committee on Monday decided to put up a strong defence of Home Minister P Chidambaram, whom the opposition has decided to boycott for his alleged role in the 2G spectrum scandal, on the opening day of parliament's winter session on Tuesday, sources said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister AK Antony and other senior attended the meeting, which discussed the strategy for the month-long session, the sources added.
Mukherjee may make a statement on Tuesday pointing out the issue was under the consideration of a Joint Parliamentary Committee and the opposition should wait before they make a judgement and press the demand for resignation of the minister, the sources said.
Earlier on Monday, the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) demanded Chidambaram's resignation and announced his boycott in the house.
Reacting to the move, Law Minister Salman Khurshid described it as 'uncharitable' and 'unkind.'
The move, which came as a surprise to the government which is aiming to pass some landmark legislation, including the Lokpal bill, in the winter session, came after the meeting of the NDA at the residence of BJP veteran LK Advani.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Wayne Rooney Ends China Rumours, to Stay at Manchester United
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show