Yamuna Bachao Yatra marches into Delhi; BJP, Cong trade charges
Sushma Swaraj taunted Sonia Gandhi saying the Yamuna may have been cleaner if it passed through Raebareli.
New Delhi: Thousands of activists on a Yamuna Bachao Yatra marched into New Delhi on Monday. They protested at Jantar Mantar demanding that the central government takes action in cleaning up the Yamuna.
Meanwhile, in Parliament, the BJP and Congress have traded charges with leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj taunting Sonia Gandhi saying the Yamuna may have been cleaner if it passed through Raebareli.
Sushma Swaraj asked the government to take immediate and long-term measures as the life and livelihood of farmers and the people were being seriously affected. Observing that thousands of farmers led by activists and religious leaders have reached Delhi seeking a clean Yamuna river, she said in spite of thousands of crores being spent on Yamuna Action Plan, there has been no improvement at all.
"The river remains thoroughly polluted and has dried up in Mathura and Vrindavan," she said. Members from various parties, including Congress, BJP, SP, BSP and RJD, wanted a discussion and time-bound concrete action by the government, with Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan assuring them that Government would take steps to protect the river.
The Speaker said, "We should send a message to agitating people that the House unanimously echoes their sentiments. All members have associated with it. This should echo outside this House too. There should be an impact. River Yamuna should be made free from pollution. This is our resolve."
(With additional information from PTI)
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- Big B Has a Different Level of Passion Towards His Work: Anees Bazmee
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- India to Reclaim Top Spot If They Win Kolkata Test Against New Zealand
- Cheteshwar Pujara's Kanpur Transformation Augurs Well for Team India
- Rampant Borussia Dortmund Will Put Stuttering Real Madrid to the Test