Angelique Kerber Progresses, Venus Williams Shocked in Hong Kong
Angelique Kerber. (Getty Images)
Hong Kong: Angelique Kerber dropped only one game on Thursday as she completed a rain-delayed 6-2 3-6 6-2 win over little known American Louisa Chirico to reach the quarter-finals of the Hong Kong Open, while second seed Venus Williams slumped out.
World number one Kerber, who was leading 2-1 in the third set when rain halted play on Wednesday, was in no mood to hang around on resumption and quickly booked a last eight meeting with Australian Daria Gavrilova.
American Williams was beaten by unseeded Frenchwoman Alize Cornet 6-2 3-6 6-2.
Williams committed six double faults and struggled on serve in her defeat by Cornet, who next takes on defending champion Jelena Jankovic.
China's Wang Qiang received a walkover after Britain's Johanna Konta, who occupies the final qualifying berth in the race to qualify for the season-ending WTA Finals in Singapore, pulled out with an abdominal injury.
Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki, the fifth seed, beat Britain's Heather Watson 6-3 6-3 and American Bethanie Mattek-Sands overcame sixth seed Caroline Garcia of France 4-6 6-2 6-4.
Recommended For You
- POWER PACKEDLenovo K6 Power Review With Video: Best Android Phone Under Rs 10,000?
- Remembering AmmaDid Jayalalithaa and Karunanidhi Ever Work Together?
- DHONI DILEMMAMS Dhoni May Play Warm-Up Games Against England Before ODI Series
- Golden TweetVirat Kohli's Tweet Supporting Anushka Sharma is The Golden Tweet of 2016
- In MemoriamJayalalithaa Filmography: 10 Musical Hits