Angelique Kerber Progresses, Venus Williams Shocked in Hong Kong
Venus Williams committed six double faults and struggled on serve in her defeat by Cornet, who next takes on defending champion Jelena Jankovic.
Angelique Kerber. (Getty Images)
Hong Kong: Angelique Kerber dropped only one game on Thursday as she completed a rain-delayed 6-2 3-6 6-2 win over little known American Louisa Chirico to reach the quarter-finals of the Hong Kong Open, while second seed Venus Williams slumped out.
World number one Kerber, who was leading 2-1 in the third set when rain halted play on Wednesday, was in no mood to hang around on resumption and quickly booked a last eight meeting with Australian Daria Gavrilova.
American Williams was beaten by unseeded Frenchwoman Alize Cornet 6-2 3-6 6-2.
Williams committed six double faults and struggled on serve in her defeat by Cornet, who next takes on defending champion Jelena Jankovic.
China's Wang Qiang received a walkover after Britain's Johanna Konta, who occupies the final qualifying berth in the race to qualify for the season-ending WTA Finals in Singapore, pulled out with an abdominal injury.
Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki, the fifth seed, beat Britain's Heather Watson 6-3 6-3 and American Bethanie Mattek-Sands overcame sixth seed Caroline Garcia of France 4-6 6-2 6-4.
Recommended For You
- When Arijit Singh Attempted to Sing Nadaan Parindey and Failed Miserably
- THE TIPPLING POINT | Can't Go to Finland? Bring it Home in This Carefully Sculpted Bottle
- 2018 Upcoming Sedans to Launch in India – Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, Toyota Vios And More
- Scuba Diving in Puducherry: An Experience to Withhold!
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Top Upcoming Deals on Smartphones, Electronics, Games And More