Angelique Kerber Tops WTA Rankings
Angelique Kerber. (Getty Images)
Germany's Angelique Kerber ousted Serena Williams from top spot in the WTA rankings Monday despite her fourth-round exit from Indian Wells.
Kerber, 29, the top-ranked player in the India Wells draw, returned to number one in the world despite the defeat because Williams missed the event through injury.
Elena Vesnina, 30, of Russia, who eliminated Kerber in the fourth round, moved up to 13th in the rankings, her best ever placing.
Latest WTA rankings released on Monday:
1. Angelique Kerber (GER) 7,515 pts
2. Serena Williams (USA) 7,130
3. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 5,640
4. Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 5,160
5. Simona Halep (ROM) 5,022
6. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 4,790
7. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 4,555
8. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 4,345
9. Madison Keys (USA) 4,007
10. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 3,850
11. Johanna Konta (GBR) 3,545
12. Venus Williams (USA) 3,485
13. Elena Vesnina (RUS) 3,320
14. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 3,225
15. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 3,095
16. Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) 2,303
17. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) 2,141
18. Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) 2,080
19. Samantha Stosur (AUS) 2,010
20. Barbara Strycova (CZE) 1,995
Recommended For You
- West Indies vs India 2017: Virat Kohli & Boys Sweat it Out
- Navya Naveli Nanda Spotted on a Movie Date With a Friend
- Steve Smith Gets Engaged as Battle With Cricket Australia Worsens
- Rajinikanth to Discuss Political Plans With Amitabh Bachchan?
- Kareena, Katrina To Malaika: B-Town Celebrities Attend Manish Malhotra's Bash