Bastian Schweinsteiger Signs for MLS Outfit Chicago Fire
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Manchester United midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has agreed a deal to join Major League Soccer club Chicago Fire, the Premier League club confirmed on Tuesday.
The 32-year-old German, who signed for United at the start of last season, has fallen out of favour since manager Jose Mourinho arrived at the club at the start of the current campaign.
"I am sad to leave so many friends at Manchester United," Schweinsteiger told the club website.
"I have enjoyed working with the manager, the players and staff here and wish them all the best in the future. But I have to reserve special thanks to the United fans -- whose support has been a very special part of my time in Manchester."
Schweinsteiger's move was first reported by the Chicago Tribune, with the Fire's general manager Nelson Rodriguez telling the newspaper that the club were getting a proven winner in the German midfielder.
He was also part of the 2014 World Cup winning squad and represented his country 121 times before announcing his international retirement last July.
Chicago have finished last overall in MLS for the past two seasons.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 vs OnePlus 3T vs OnePlus 3: What Difference to Expect?
- Mithali Raj Shatters World Record, Slams 7th Consecutive ODI Fifty
- Jagga Jasoos: Katrina, Ranbir Look Adorable in the New Song Jhumritalaiyya
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Jason Roy Dismissed in the Most Unusual Way Against Proteas