Bhaichung Bhutia nominated for Padma Shri
He refused to react to the development, saying his name is still only at the nomination stage.
New Delhi: Indian football captain Bhaichung Bhutia has been nominated for civilian honour Padma Shri for his outstanding contribution to sport in the country.
"I have come to know that I have been nominated for Padma Shri," Bhutia said on Wednesday.
But he refused to react to the development, saying his name is still only at the nomination stage.
"I am just feeling normal. My name is only at the nomination stage now and the list is still to be finalised by the Sports Ministry," he said.
Padma awards are bestowed on persons with outstanding achievements.
If Bhutia's name gets the green signal, the 1998 Arjuna Awardee will become the fifth Indian footballer after Gostho Behari Paul (1962), Sailen Manna (1971), Chuni Goswami (1983) and PK Banerjee (1990) to receive the honour.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology