1-min read

Djokovic Says no Talks on Retaining Becker


First published: October 13, 2016, 7:31 PM IST | Updated: October 13, 2016
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Djokovic Says no Talks on Retaining Becker
Novak Djokovic. (Getty Images)

Shanghai: World number one Novak Djokovic said he hadn't made any plans to keep Boris Becker as a coach next year as they appeared headed for a split on Thursday.

Djokovic, speaking after cruising into the Shanghai Masters quarter-finals, said he had only made arrangements with the German great for the rest of the season.

"We are still working (together), yeah... for now the plan is the rest of the season, what's left, indoor tournaments," he said.

Asked what would happen next year, Djokovic said: "We still haven't talked about it."

Becker joined Djokovic's coaching team at the start of 2014, helping him win six Grand Slam titles and put together one of the all-time great seasons last year.

But speculation about their partnership has grown since the Serb suffered a crisis of motivation and a series of injuries since completing a career Grand Slam at the French Open.

Djokovic says he has now taken a fresh mental approach since he lost in Wimbledon's third round and in round one at the Olympics, while also enduring wrist and elbow problems.

"I don't think about any trophies or number ones in the world, rankings, anything like that. It's completely different," he said earlier this week.

Djokovic skipped last week's China Open with a wrist injury but there were few doubts about his form as he dismantled Canadian qualifier Vasek Pospisil 6-4, 6-4 on Thursday.

facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp